View Single Post
      02-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #68
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Thanks to awmenard for the files, I was able to get started on this as well. Like many on here, I also went through 3Dhubs.com. I ended up working with Brandon from HartSmart. Great guy and very informative if you are still looking for a 3D printer.

My order hasn't arrived yet, so I'll update with more info when it comes. But, there are a few interesting things I picked up. I'm far from an expert, mostly just reciting things that I was told. But, just in case it's helpful:

First, in terms of material, I decided to try clear TPU for its flexibility (and since that seemed to be the material most of the earlier posts mentioned). However, Brandon mentioned to me a couple other alternatives - PETG or nGen. They are more rigid, but can still have a little bit of flex. I didn't look into these other materials so I can't compare.

Also, when I asked for "clear" TPU, I was told that it is never really clear. The clarity depends on how many "layers" you print. The more layers (more opaque), the greater the ability to "diffuse" light and refract it since it has to pass through more layers. The less layers (more clear), the better for light to pass directly through it, but you won't see it as much from the side.

Number of layers is related to the layer "height." The taller the height, the less layers you can fit into your print. I originally selected 500 microns, but was told that was an overly thick layer and the printer would not be able to print the thin "fins" at the top with that setting. So, I lowered it to 300 microns. Not sure it that will achieve the desired effect, but I'll have to wait and see when it arrives.

My guess is with the varying combinations of layer height / # of layers / clarity, one can foreseeably play around with some settings and get an ideal amount of light passing through vs. diffused light.
Appreciate 1
awmenard142.00