View Single Post
      03-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #10
GAB0
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
In this image you can see the kies motorsports plate (vac manufactured) sitting crooked once one bolt is installed because it was initially sitting too far forwards (due to the crank seal not being recessed far enough back) so the bolt holes do not line up. So when you pull the plate back so the hole does line up it causes the plate to tilt. A slotted bolt hole would fix this issue. However bolt hole alignment is not an issue if the plate sits flush against the block (this area is identical in N54’s, N55’s, and S55’s iirc) which is how every plate is designed to sit or else all the forces of a belt failure will be deflected towards the tabs which may fail. Also if the plate doesn’t sit flush against the block it will hit the harmonic damper as the clearance in that area is extremely tight. So in the instance of a properly installed plate a slotted bolt hole could be a detriment imo as it can cause the plate to be harder to install, create a weaker tab area (as there is less material supporting the bolt) and even possibly move upon belt failure."
Wow.... The installation was a pain in the butt but that's because I decided to follow their YouTube video and install it from the top of the engine. Afterwards it was clear I should have put the car on ramps and gone at it from the bottom.

Thankfully mine sat flush and there were no fitment issues.

Thanks

Last edited by GAB0; 03-16-2021 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
F87source7367.00