View Single Post
      11-21-2021, 11:15 PM   #1
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Don’t Overlook the 230i M-Sport

I did a short test drive in the 230i M-Sport tonight and came away very impressed. The combo of ~300 pounds less weight and RWD really changes the handling in a noticeably positive way. I clearly felt the difference in weight throwing the car around corners. On top of the excellent grip, you get even more responsive steering and handling that’s super obedient. You steer it and it eagerly goes in the direction you want. Chassis stays surprisingly tidy. Pile on the speed and steering angle and it keeps going and going. This is going to be a really fun car on backroads and autocross and other tight stuff.

I was reminded again of the leap in overall quality of this generation. The car is a joy to drive normally, with the excellent 3-Series interior and amenities, a very adjustable drive, and the torquey 4-cylinder motor that gets you off the line so confidently. Driving it at night, I got to enjoy the ambient lighting; I like this execution better than what I got in my old G82. Driving it sanely then spiritedly, the car feels like one of the best bargains on the market. Maybe the best. It does both things really well.

Ultimately, I’m going to stick with my M240i order. The B58 and its power and sound are just too great and that package represents a total-package daily performance bargain in its own right. There are a couple of things that I can’t get on the 230i (heads up display). I need xDrive for 4-seasons usage here in the PNW. However, for anyone going for a 230i, don’t worry - you’re in for a treat. Highly recommended.
Attached Images

Appreciate 12
zzyjason114.50
MPSdriver192.00
gp_solo2190.50
yanks1484.00
EXE462104.50
SVR514.50
DZ F30303.50
pal437.00