View Single Post
      05-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #51
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Fixed calipers have at least two or more pistons and are more rigid. The more pistons you have and the rigid construction add up to more clamping force. Floating calipers are typically single piston on the inboard side of the rotor. When the brakes are applied the single piston applies the brake pad on one side of the rotor until it bottoms out which then cause the caliper to slide (why it's called floating) along two shafts in order to pull the pad on the opposite side of the rotors face. It's a bit difficult to explain, but you can find videos online that demonstrate how it works. It's a fairly simple system. Fixed calipers offer better brake clamping force, pedal feel, and more even pad wear.

No performance car should ever have floating calipers. Regardless if they are used just on the rear. BMW didn't want to spend the $$$ to develop them, simple as that.
Oh I know how they work, I'm looking more for justification of the bold. Most of the braking is up front, is there objective evidence to show that the floating is worse in some way than the solid in a rear application?

Do the M cars with them stop in a longer distance, for example, than previous gens?