View Single Post
      05-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #185
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Porsche has become the standard 'bro' preference these days, like the Rolex of cars. Well there's more to cars than Porsche, just like there's more to watches than Rolex.

I've driven lots of Porsches over the years, and the last time I shopped for a car it was the 1M vs. Cayman R. I enthusiastically and happily chose the 1M. They were similarly priced then.

Porsches are technical machines. They are built with some enthusiasm in mind but more commonly built with technical excellence and focus. Despite those being seemingly positive features of an automobile; I have found it doesn't necessarily translate into fun.

They feel cold and technical and capable, but I want something that doesn't feel perfect. I want character like old cars have. I don't want the fastest car or the most perfect car—I want something that my kid and me can laugh driving around in. Which brings me to my 2nd point—-1 year after buying my 1M we had a kid. We have raised our kid ONLY in the 1M. If I'd bought the Cayman that certainly couldn't have happened. The 1M has been my daily driver and only car for 8 years now.

Porsches and BMWs aren't really comparable they are entirely different in their ethos and focus. To me it's pretty sad how Porsche went from a niche sports car maker to a mainstream bro-mobile—but they still make great cars, just not for my needs or wishes.

If someone wants a sports coupe that is enthusiastic and fun and can really be an only car and family car—-I think any M2 is a great choice and this new M2 will probably be a great choice. The small, enthusiastic, practical BMW sports coupe has its OWN genre. It doesn't need Porsche comparisons endlessly—
EXE462104.50
AndrewC198910949.00