View Single Post
      06-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #43
Lohan
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
My preference is very, very strongly towards iD8. Actually I didn't order a 2022 because I wanted the new OS! The software is obviously better; and personally I really like the floating super widescreen display. The lack of physical 1-8 buttons hurts but they're virtual now, and the Virtual Assistant (voice control) seems like another decent workaround.

The lack of a shifter SUCKS but I'm not considering that related to iD8.
I'm all for ID8 versus 7. I do think the implementation design is juvenile. And the trend to making the car a video arcade is another distraction from active involvement by the driver in how and where the car is going. Just because the technology is there and it can be done, doesn't make it a smart idea for a vehicle that can turn on a dime and approach top speeds in the upper 100s. But once set I don't change much when I'm in motion. And the natural voice recognition, while not as good as a physical button in my mind, avoids having to dig through menus while driving. But if you have a passenger or two and decide to change the temperature or your passenger wants to turn on their seat heater do you talk over the conversation and talk to ID8, or does the passenger start telling YOUR car what to do? Seems pretty awkward to me. What if you call your system Stella and your wife's name is Bernice? Can you drive and fend off blows at the same time?
Appreciate 0