View Single Post
      07-13-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I'm an advocate of early oil/filter services unless the car makers prohibits this.

A new engine sheds (mostly metal) debris. Sure there is an oil filter which catches this. But there are a couple of things to consider. One is at least with some engines the oil pressure bypass routes oil back to the intake side of the oil pump. Thus unfiltered oil gets routed back to oil pump over and over again. Sure as this continues the metal debris gets "ground" up into smaller and smaller pieces. The gear pump rotor teeth are hard and probably won't be affected. But the gear pump housing is aluminum and the metal debris can result in wear to the housing enough that oil pressure might reduced.

The oil filter or oil filter housing is filled with oil which is filled with metal debris. I have supplied a picture of the oil canister oil from my 2008 Cayman S after just 750 miles of use since new.

The other concern is if the filter high pressure bypass ever opens unfiltered oil is routed to engine.

Yet another concern is a new engine contaminates the oil. And turbo charged (and supercharged) engines are worse than N/A engines. Contamination reduces the oil's ability to protect the engine.

With my 2018 Hellcat the oil on the dipstick was quite dark and I had the oil/filter service done at around 500 miles. By way of comparison my 2020 Scat Pack dipstick oil looked quite good and I felt ok letting the oil go to around 1200 miles.

With my 230i there is no oil dipstick. (My 2008 Cayman S had no oil dipstick either.) So I just went with my gut (and remembering what the oil from my Cayman looked like after 750 miles) and had the oil/filter service done at 600 miles and then again at 1200 miles -- end of break in. Next oil change will be at 5K miles.
One other thing to consider... when formulating recommended change intervals were automotive design engineers unaware of this? Did they not study the impacts or padded their results / recommendations to account for lazy owners or unforeseen conditions?