View Single Post
      11-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #119
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Hello All. I was pointed to this thread from another one. Sounds like I'm experiencing what many of you are as well and it's super annoying on any car, especially a brand new one!

My 2022 M240i (now with 1300 miles) has what sounds like a loose piece of plastic from the rear area that "taps" a little bit when the rear dampers go up and down. I notice it all the time as I'm dialed into it now but it can be easily drowned out by the stereo. It is most noticeable between 30-40MPH and sport mode but is always there and always has been since I took delivery a few months ago.

I tried to figure it out on my own at first; remove the carpeted plastic trunk floor piece (which doesn't have an easy way to lift it - why?), put the rear seats down, open the LATCH plastic covers on the package shelf, have someone ride in the back and tell me what they hear and touch the various bits and pieces back there to see if it stops. No luck.

I took it to my local BMW dealer to get the oil changed at 1200 miles (Yes, I'm doing extra oil changes) and mentioned the sound. They did the oil change then drove the car and couldn't hear it, so I insisted on driving it with them and they assigned the lead mechanic to ride with me and he heard it too and thought it might be something in the suspension. Told me to book an appointment to drop the car and get a loaner.

So I dropped the car off last Tuesday. Get a call that the right rear damper is defective and they need to replace it. They do that on Friday and I get another call later that day that the sound is still there and they plan to replace the front right damper which doesn't make any sense to me, but here we are.

My car has now been at the dealer for a week and I think they are not sure what is causing the noise and how to fix it and replacing parts that may not be defective.

In other news, my car may also have the steering wheel pulsation issue that others are reporting. I noticed that one recently when turning the steering wheel at low speed. It wasn't there before. I LOVE this car otherwise, but maybe all the kinks haven't been worked out yet and I'm not sure what to do.
Appreciate 2
jmelaw32.00
Caerus534.50