View Single Post
      01-28-2023, 02:55 AM   #50
fortysecond
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 230i, Thundernight Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
From my experience playing great quality MP3's (320kbs) vs FLAC on both premium stock and aftermarket systems, taking into account the mediocre/good quality of the BMW HK system, I would say you won't be able to hear a difference on the HK system. I know I wasn't able to with FLAC files on premium stock system. On a really good aftermarket system with quality components and proper tuning, I was able to hear a difference but it wasn't drastic. If your system is capable, you would be able to just slightly make out the otherwise lost frequencies (<20hz, >20hz) due to compression and maybe lower noise floor. I'd say with a good system, 320kbps MP3 is 85% and FLAC gives you that extra 15%. On the HK system, with a trained ear MP3's are about 95% with FLAC giving you that 5%.
Agree with concept of additional 5-10% that lossless gives you towards MP3.

However I was quite surprised with additional 20+% between Spotify and ALAC on the same album. I would say that difference was dramatic for me. In other words - I'm still not happy with HK system that is all muddy (if EQ is not tweaked in somewhat 'V' shaped spectrum setting).

Yes, we all understand the codec Spotify uses and compression that cuts details from all possible angles, but I was not expecting that streaming quality is so awful when compared with lossless. Just an idea for people to check their favorite albums in lossless format while driving

ALAC and later FLAC albums that I listened to, this week, showed that HK system can actually play and build a scene. The sound is crisp, fresh and open when compared to streaming bag of dust.
Appreciate 0