View Single Post
      12-28-2023, 05:49 PM   #19
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
IMO, a lot of the backlash to AS/S is either old information or bad information.

In modern cars, this isn't usually an issue anymore.
As someone who drives various rental vehicles frequently (at least once per month) I'll tell you that in most vehicles I've driven (all modern cars), the system is still very clunky and noticeable. Obviously some brands do it much better than others, but it's still noticeable even in our BMWs. Modern Jeeps, for example have had a lot of issues with their AS/S system. JL Wranglers have been having starter failures at a pretty decent rate.

My wife ordered a '23 Grand Cherokee L Summit last year ($70k vehicle) and the AS/S didn't work from day one. And yes, as the purchaser of a $70k vehicle I am concerned with "just another component that can fail" because it means repeated trips to the dealer, not receiving a loaner vehicle (yeah most brands don't provide loaners when your vehicle is in for service), and having to figure out how to get to work, get the kids around, etc.

If you like the system, that's wonderful. As you pointed out, it's not mandated, so owners should have a choice to engage/disengage the feature.'

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0