01-30-2024, 09:43 AM   #89
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
RockCrusher Reading your post makes me want to get a V1 asap.
The V1 is good but it is not a cloaking device.

I bought the V1 because I was -- this was in MO where I lived at the time (circa 2000-2003) -- seeing lots of what I suspected were speed traps. Ok. If one doesn't speed there's no problem right?

Well, not exactly. Got pulled over for "speeding" -- this in my '96 Mustang GT -- by some young police officer who also had some young female in some kind of uniform (cadet (?)) in the cruiser with him. He put on a big show. Called for back up. Besides speeding I forget what I was written up for. But contacted an attorney in that town and all the charges were dismissed.

But lesson learned. Bought the V1.

From Jan 2002 (when I bought my Boxster) to Jan 2018 when I sold my 996 Turbo and Boxster and replaced them with a 2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack and a 2018 MINI Cooper JCW) I averaged about 41,600 miles per year. My work commute from March 2003 to March 2020 was 60 miles a day, 300 miles a week, 15,000 miles per year. The rest of those miles are racked up on road trips which over time had me driving all over the western US. (Not all the miles were driving the Boxster or the Turbo. At times between Jan 2002 to June 2009 (when I bought the 996 Turbo) I also owned a 2002 VW Golf TDi (put 150K miles on it) and a 2006 GTO (put 50K miles on it).

With all that driving one gets subjected to consider opportunities to get pulled over. If you don't speed you don't get pulled over right? Wrong.

I got pulled over one night in Texas (on I20) by a local LEO in the middle of the freeway with radar -- had plenty of warning from the V1 and CB radio -- when a car whizzed past my Boxster which was in the right lane at 5mph *under* the night time speed limit. The V1 went crazy. Saw the LEO cruiser lights come on. But he came after me instead of the car which passed my Boxster! As I was getting pulled over I heard one truck over the radio: "He's pulling over the wrong 4-wheeler!"

Long story short I "argued" with the officer used the presence of the V1, the CB radio, even a Garmin NAV device which had recorded my max speed since I left the hotel earlier in the day, to show the officer I was not speeding. I met with success. I was issued a warning. In my book that was a win!

On another road trip got pulled over in my Turbo -- which just west of Williams AZ by a state trooper for failing to signal. I didn't cut any one off. I was so tired I think I was grabbing the cruise control stalk which was just under the turn signal stalk. Officer made a big deal having me work the turn signal indicator stalk -- I was fully awake at this time -- to confirm the turn signals worked. At some point he told me he holds drivers of cars like mine to a higher standard.

This was no surprise to me actually. On a previous road trip just west of Kingman AZ I observed an SUV change lanes with no signal and right in front of a AZ state trooper's car. I waited for the lights to come on. But they never did. The state trooper I guess was saving himself for Porsche drivers...

Another time just some miles east of Amarillo TX on I40 was going along -- oh in my Turbo -- at 10mph over. And so was every other car. Traffic was light. Spotted what turned out to be a sheriff's car coming from the other direction and as I watched the lights went on and the officer cut across the median and pulled me over for speeding. I was not feeling well when I left the hotel in Amarillo and had forgotten to turn on the V1.

I pointed out I was going with traffic not passing other vehicles but he said he was "required" to give me a ticket. Sure. Driving a Porsche Turbo in the land of pick ups and mini vans with with CA plates on the Turbo a ticket is a must... But I let it go. As I had learned some years ago TX has a probation before adjudication system so I when I got home I called the Dalhart TX county courthouse and arranged for this. Six months later with no additional tickets charge was dropped for a less than $100 court fee.

The V1 is in the M2. Don't bother to turn it on as I'm just running errands or even on a pleasure drive. But if/when I head out on a road trip of some time/distance I'll turn it on as I'm sure when I venture out on the open road the M2 will be an eye catcher extraordinaire. Will be a minor miracle if I don't get pulled over at some point.
Appreciate 0