02-21-2024, 08:21 AM   #24
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfardresher View Post
I currently own 2019 330i which is running perfectly fine. But I can’t stop looking at the new 2024 M2. Test drive a manual and really loved it! But again there is nothing wrong with my current car and it’s only 5 years old. I also hear that the 2025 M2 is going to have a bump in hp, so not sure with the jump in base will be. But I’m not looking to track this car, just want to enjoy the ride and be able to use it for me DD. Thoughts?
From a money standpoint don't think the "deal" makes good sense/cents.

You take a depreciation hit on the 330i. Used car prices have tumbled. And then you start depreciation running on the new M2.

(But I will admit I traded in a perfectly good 2022 BMW 230i not even a year old with just 7K miles on it when I bought my M2.)

I note you are in San Diego CA. Before you get too far into a new M2 purchase you might want to run a M2 VIN by your insurance agent and get a quote.

Yeah, I doubt anyone who can afford to buy/own a 330i or an M2 would be put off by some bit of a jump in his car insurance premium but you might be surprised at how big a jump you might be facing. Knowing this amount of jump *before* you buy the new M2 would be better than finding out *after*. Finding out after could kill the new M2 buzz...

I don't know about your area but when I lived Livermore CA (up north) and worked in the east bay with a number of cars the nose dragged upon entering/exiting almost every drive.

Most noticeable on my 2018 Hellcat which had splitter protectors on each corner. After a while these were worn through and the edges of the splitter were being abraded by pavement contact.

I was very careful, entering/exiting drives at slow speed and approaching at an angle. (Not my first experience with this car nose dragging as I had dealt with this with my Porsche Turbo and my Boxster before the Hellcat.)

To be sure the nose dragging didn't make me run out and get rid of the cars and buy something that would not drag a nose driving across the Grand Canyon but it was something I lived with day after day. And cost me $400+ when I let someone drive my Turbo and he wasn't as careful and cracked the Turbo air dam and I had to replace it.

I bring this whole subject up because the M2 has a "rep" from having critical cooling hardware located where they are at some risk of damage if one is not careful and always mindful.

Might add I left CA for AR and I brought the Hellcat with me. Here it didn't drag its nose at all. Nor did the 2020 Scat Pack I replaced the Hellcat with. And my M2 doesn't drag its nose either.
Appreciate 1
ayilar22.00