03-07-2024, 12:56 PM   #311
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I’ve been “trying to ignore the thump” for about a month now. It’s just odd that no one can figure it out.
To me it seems like something is loose, like the slight bumps are more shaking things up and down causing whatever is loose to bounce and hit something else. I think we’ve ruled out an actual strut or mount problem because people have had these replaced. Plus it’s only on the left side.

So what might stiffer springs do? It might put things on that side under more tension. Or is it because the different springs raise the rear end slightly? I guess if it’s something in the suspension that’s loose or hitting something, it might prevent whatever it is from hitting something. Sitffening the dampers makes it worse though. Hmm..

I wish I could poke around while the car is on a lift. I just have a feeling it’s not anything in the actual suspension but something that’s shaking more/less based on the how firm the suspension is….something like the exhaust system.

The fact that’s it’s just one side is interesting. I can roll over the same bumps on the left side and no sound.
I agree with what you’re saying. To me it sounds like I hear the noise when the springs are at full extension/rebound after a minor road imperfection. My thinking was that stiffening or lowering might change the rebound but another forum member just confirmed he still has the thump after lowering with Eibachs.

I had my car up on jacks in the garage and confirmed it is not the exhaust in my case. I was able to freely move the exhaust while under the vehicle and it made absolutely no contact with anything from the downpipe all the way to the tips. I also tried to play around with the fuel tank which is near where the sound originates. I could not recreate any thumping noise but I did not fully rule it out. Might be worth looking into further, I just don’t have time to get under the car to look just yet.
Appreciate 1
Fronzdan313.00