03-12-2024, 08:01 AM   #10
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I think my low charge situation I experienced this year was a combination of drives not long enough, running heated seats/steering wheel all the time, and a severe cold snap which meant I was remote starting the car halfway through the day to keep the engine from "freezing up."

I received a free trickle charger with my car, and I never thought I would use it. I rethought that, seems during a cold snap it may be worth throwing it on the trickle charger every few days to make sure there is enough charge. Not much point having a remote starter if the car refuses to remote start at -40C...
I have no experience dealing with vehicles in that cold of temperature. But I suspect one would need to use a battery charger/trickle charger to ensure the battery is kept topped up.

Even if not starting the engine the battery will lose charge just sitting.

This arises in part because of the higher electrical load on the battery from all the fancy smacy electronics. My 2002 Boxster would dial down the car's security system after 5 days to reduce battery drain. Newer cars have even more battery draining electronics.

Also it might be worth looking into a block heater. Ideally a factory block heater can be retro-fitted.

If that's not feasible owners have reported good experience using a blanket type of heater. A small electrically heated pad is attached (glued?) to the oil pan or oil sump plate.
Appreciate 0