03-13-2024, 09:29 AM   #12
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
It’s not cold weather. Temps are well above freezing. I seriously doubt the battery is weak or even discharged. The car is brand new, just below the 1200 mile break in, driven daily for 30 min minimum and has been taken on 1.5 hour drives on the highway muktiple times. The car never hesitates or shows any starting weakness when pushing the start button in the car. Starting from the app also never shows any weakness or difficulty starting. It is only the triple click from the FOB that acts weird and as if the battery is weak. I can try starting from FOB multiple times (and fail) until it won’t even turn over anymore. But after that I can immediately go into the car, push the start and it starts without any hesitation.

It really SEEMS like remote start from FOB relies on some kind of reserve power as opposed to main battery power….if that makes any sense.
I'm not aware of an auxiliary battery in the 230/240.

Perhaps you are not giving the remote start function enough time....

From my car's owners manual:

Switching on/off using the vehicle key

The system can be switched on and off using the vehicle key.

Press the vehicle key button three times within 1 second.

After the vehicle key is pressed, it will take around 3 seconds for the engine to switch on.

To switch the system off, press the button again three times.

I do not use remote start and have not experimented with it to observe its behavior when it is activated correctly or incorrectly.

If you are activating remote start correctly, the behavior does suggest a weak FOB battery that gets run down with repeated attempts to remote start the car in rapid succession.

You have two key fobs. Do both result in the same behavior? Another thing to try is see of the behavior follows the key fob battery or remains with the troublesome key fob.

Based on my experience with other cars once you are in the car to start the engine all the FOB has to do is respond with its RFID and this is triggered by an RF signal broadcast from someplace in the dash. This signal is probably triggered by the start button press. With cars that had a blade key the signal was from an antenna located behind the ignition key switch surround and triggered when the key was turned to start the engine. With push button start the signal might come from the steering column (to reach out -- so to speak) a key in a pocket or in a purse.

(Rarely I have experienced what I believe is my billfold which I carry in my left front pants pocket along with the car key interfering with the key fob signal. The billfold has some RFID shielding to guard against a credit card being scanned. What I have to do is make sure the key is not behind the billfold.)

If the RF signal is received by the key this energizes the RFID transmission circuit and the RFID is transmitted and verified by the car's security system and if all is well engine start is allowed.
Appreciate 0