View Single Post
      03-14-2024, 11:18 AM   #39
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Now it is possible that in the fine print of one's car insurance policy he grants the insurance company access to data collected by in this case BMW.
This is useful, thank you. Nice to know that BMW won't share information unless customer requests it (and what I'd expect from BMW). Based on this last statement and the BMW terms, you'd have to be giving your insurer some sort of power of attorney or an explicit consent signed for them to get this info from BMW on your behalf. Meaning you'd be willingly signing up for these programs that reward "safe" driving.

In my view sometimes safe driving means mega accelerations or heavy use of brakes. And for those of us who track our street cars, how will the insurers parse that out of the data.

Investigating this GM was (and is) selling this data on their cars "along with other manufacturers". If BMW was doing this and I couldn't opt out, then I would tell BMW to keep their car and go pickup a 67 fastback mustang (or I'd pull the 5G module out of the car).

Having family members that work for certain services of the federal government, don't be so sure that your tinfoil hats will work M-tinfoil or knockoff ( I do love that part of the discussion though). Use VPNs instead.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 03-14-2024 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0