04-22-2024, 07:58 AM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg13 View Post
I bought a new Cayman GTS 4.0 last year and simply love it. I can't get enough of it. It replaced my Corvette Grand Sport. My 540 lease is coming up and I like to replace it with either a 911 or M2. I do have a Model S and an X7 so carrying people is not a problem.

Now it may sound crazy to compare 911 to an M2 but both are two door, 4 seater high performance cars with ability to get a sunroof (a must have for me). I also prefer the looks and interior of the 991.2 over 992. Even though I am on the list for a 992 at a local dealer I keep looking for a 991.2.

M2 fully loaded the way I want would be less than $68K and a lightly used CPO 991.2 (S or 4S) would be around $120k. I know M2 is heavier but it drives very well and planted. I like M2 and prefer it's looks over the ugly M3/M4. I have driven 991.2 in S model also but not right after the m2 and it drove well also. My cayman GTS 4.0 drives better (and more fun) than both but I think I am used to driving it daily thats why? Very likely!

I had initially ordered a Z4 M40i in frozen gray to pair my sport garage with Cayman, scheduled to come end of next month but now I feel I may not use the convertible functionality very much so probably won't take delivery of it. So a 4 seater coupe it will have to be.

I don't track but I am a decent spirited driver. What would you pick over these two? With M2 I save $45K. Even when money is not that much of a big issue, M2 is very tempting car with savings. Anybody has both or experience in driving both extensively?
If you love the Cayman GTS so much why not keep it, find a way to keep it? Of all the cars I have owned/driven my 2008 Cayman S was I think the best in terms of its handling/performance and cost to purchase and keep on the road.

Have not been in a newer 911 but I drove my 996 Turbo for 8 years and 150K miles. Concurrent with my time with my Turbo I owned a Boxster (16 years, 317K miles).

I owned front engine rear wheel drive coupes before and after the Turbo. Before: Mustang GT, Camaro Z28, (2006) GTO; After: Two Challenger Scat Packs, one Challenger Hellcat, a BMW 230i and now a 230xi and my 2023 M2. The coupes were nice cars though some were nicer than others...

Some were faster than my Turbo and the cars after have more modern options but none could match the Turbo and its driving experience.

It was quite an eye opener when after I bought my first Challenger Scat Pack (a 2018 with a 8-speed automatic) I drove it home from the dealer -- about a 20 mile drive -- on a nice "back road" that I had driven countless times before with my Turbo and my Boxster. A dealer employee was driving my Turbo.

After putting the new Challenger away I use the Turbo to take the dealer employee back to the dealer. I drove back on this same road. I was really struck by how well suited to this road the Turbo was. Up and down the gears, braking, cornering, I realized how good I had it with Turbo. Oh, I was not showing off or driving on the edge. Just driving the Turbo.

But I had decided that my time with the Turbo (and the Boxster) was at an end. I wanted to drive other cars.

The only car that could match and in some ways surpass the Turbo was my 2008 Cayman S. (I owned this Cayman S just a short 4 weeks before I bought the Turbo. Lost the Cayman to an accident -- not my fault -- and (short version) after all the dust settled ended up in the Turbo.)

Like my 2002 Boxster the Cayman S had exquisite road manners. If I had a good Porsche dealer in town I'd own at least a Cayman S and maybe a 911.

Now while none of the front engine rear wheel drive coupes could match the Turbo -- with everything taken into consideration -- the M2 ain't no slouch. It certainly is the best car compared to the other front engine rear wheel drive cars I've owned.

My Turbo had 4 seats. And the 991.2 and M2 have 4 seats. With my Turbo I found the rear seating was (just) ok in a pinch for a short distance but for carrying more than 2 people for any distance and in comfort neither the Porsche or M2 are the answer. Although I believe the M2's rear seating would be less punishing than the Porsche rear seating.

Bottom line is the 991.2 would be a nice car. So too would the M2. But they are quite different cars.

Thus in my opinion the 991.2 vs. the M2 is not a reasonable comparison. While both are in their own right excellent cars there is too much difference between them. I would offer that while the M2 is a fine car -- did I mention I love mine! -- the M2 would not deliver the same driving experience as the 991.2.

The decision you are facing is what driving experience do you think you'd enjoy more? Based on my experience I'd say the 991.2 would be more enjoyable, albeit you'd pay more for the experience. It would be up to you of course to decide how big, or not, an issue the difference in price would be.
Appreciate 3
sg1374.50
Ronin76873.50
Mr. Hankey1180.00