04-22-2024, 10:34 AM   #17
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj100 View Post
OP here again and this post is right, I'm comparing my G87 to an X3 M40i not an X3M.

And you can definitely call me crazy if you please, but I stick by my original statement. And yes I know much of it may have to do with the torque curve of the S58 vs the B58. I think that likely leads to the feeling of weight/sluggishness I associate with the G87.

To some extent I think the G87 feels like taking practice swings with a baseball bat with a donut weight on it. I know many disagree, but after owning a lot of M cars (and other performance cars), I just don't feel as connected to the G87 as previous vehicles.

Just my opinion of course.
My G87 is my 2nd BMW I have owned. Previous car was a 2019 M240i rear wheel drive automatic with the B58 motor. The low end torque on my previous car was insane. When I test drove the G87 it did feel "sluggish" as I was so used to the low end torque blast from the B58. However.......my 240i both stock and when it was tuned had soooo much unusable power and the rear would break loose way too often (even after fitting the car with wider/stickier tires and a M Perf LSD). A basic stage 2 tune and I had about 430 horsepower but 500 foot lbs of torque; the car was super imbalanced and so frustrating at times to drive.

Now, it feels like the G87 doesn't have that low end grunt but isn't that by design so the car is actually driveable and civilized? Once I started to experience the high end revs of the S58 then I started to realize how much better this motor is overall and the "lack" of the low end was forgiven.

I have never driven another M car so I can't compare but I feel like the M2 is tuned down a little bit but for good reason to ensure it's really driveable. My two cents based on the shit-show that was my M240i.