04-23-2024, 12:14 PM   #24
Kuskus
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Think the M240i is enough of a car to be fun to drive. Heck my 230xi is fun to drive.

The flip side is with the M2 it can serve as a daily driver. One can daily drive any car just a matter of if one is willing to accept the consequences.

For instance at some point I daily drove a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. I could live with the 15mpg fuel consumption and the increase in servicing costs due to the more rapid accumulation of miles and the cost of consumables like tires and eventually brakes.

Before I bought my M2 I considered an M240i.

I built a M240i and an M2 and while the M2 was more money it was still well within my budget. But the M240i wasn't available with a 6-speed manual. And for my pleasure car I wanted a manual so I switched from an M240i to an M2.

Rather than build an M2 and order it I searched and found an M2 launch car on a dealer's lot and bought the M2. This April of 2023. Traded in the 230i.

When I bought the M2 my daily was a 2023 MINI JCW w/6-speed.

But about 9 months after buying the JCW I traded it in for a 2024 BMW 230xi.

The 230xi is my daily driver. It gets about the same gas mileage as the MINI JCW did. Both cars are about the same when it comes to capabilities and features although of course they differ considerably in the running gear department. The MINI JCW was FWD mated to a 6-speed manual vs. the 230xi being AWD mated to an 8-speed automatic.

But being an automatic the 230xi is a bit "better" in its role as a daily driver. And I could argue -- and did with myself -- the 230xi being AWD is better suited for my daily driver given where I live snow on the roads is a thing.

Sure I could have bought an M240i (or M240xi even) for my daily. Just the 230xi was a bit less money and while I could afford the M240i since I don't drive that much -- being retired -- my cars don't get a lot of use. If I'm going to buy a car to not use it a lot the 230xi is the better choice over the M240i...
Thanks for this! Yeah well I daily drove the z4m40i also for a long time and I was looking for the same experience but with a "practical" sense into it lol
Appreciate 0