View Single Post
      04-24-2024, 01:53 PM   #30
Jett2835
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 G87

Adding my 2 cents.

I DIY full ppf'ed my G87, and I bulk installed (no-pre cut) as my goal was to have full coverage with no seams. I can tell you right now that a bulk install on our front and rear bumpers are absolutely painstakingly difficult. I would probably even go as far as saying nearly impossible to cover our front + rear bumpers with 100% coverage with one piece. I ended up having to make certain relief cuts/ seam cuts on the front and rear bumper install.

The exact areas you have in your photos are where stretching is required to get around those fat curves. Even with CORE pre-cut, if that installer tried to cover the whole rear bumper without seaming multiple pieces (i.e., using just one pre-cut piece for the whole bumper), they definitely had to stretch to get the film to lay down. Typically when you stretch aggressively and then trim before the film has time to bond, you will often see the film lift in those areas with high tension - especially when that area heats up in the sun. The areas with fingers that are difficult to get to stay down typically lift back up eventually, even if you are able to successfully lay it flat after working it.

My suggestion is to ask the installer to re-install the bumper again, but I would assume the results from this installer would be the same if they use the same approach as this initial install. As an alternative, they can trim back the edge where you are seeing multiple fingers & lift, but it may not be an acceptable solution for you to lose even more film coverage for what you paid for.

Unfortunately, our G87 bumpers are extremely difficult for bulk install (and fairly new to installers) and it's so rare to see a perfectly executed PPF install. If I were you, a re-install would be warranted here by the installer. If they are using just one piece bulk install on the rear bumper, maybe see if it is possible for them to pre-cut into multiple pieces to seam together. I've seen better success in that method overall, and if the top portion starts to lift/peel again, they only have to replace one piece instead of the whole bumper.
2014 911 Carrera (sold)
2005 S2000 (sold)

Last edited by Jett2835; 04-24-2024 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 1
clydefrog288.50