View Single Post
      04-29-2024, 07:13 PM   #85
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Some places dont like to or wont turn rotors. If the pads are truly worn, I sure wouldn't put new pads on rotors with 15k - 20k miles (or however miles the pads had on the rotors) on them so your option if not turning them, then replace them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
It depends. The factory repair manual covers this subject. It might be the factory calls for the replacement of not only worn pads but rotors too.

Or the factory might sanction reuse of the rotors as long as they meet the standards that allow for reuse and this *after* suitable resurfacing.

(See the attached PDF from the brake wear section of the factory manual for my 996 Turbo.)

The rotors might be salvageable with proper resurfacing but of course this is a judgement call. What can happen is -- if you even find an automotive machine shop willing to take on the job -- the rotors are resurfaced until they cleanup. This means extra time to sneak up on a suitable final result to take off only as much metal as is required to be bring the rotor into spec without taking the rotor under size.

Thus after the brake job the brakes were all original save the calipers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Floating rotors as fitted to the G87 generally can't be turned, so unless the surface is within run-out and flatness spec, they have to be replaced, even if the thickness is still well within spec.
This is in line with what I've seen and have been told. Essentially, it's almost become the norm to just go ahead and replace the rotors each time you're replacing the pads from wear.

Makes sense!
Appreciate 0