Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneM2 View Post
Couple questions, I only see F87 M2 as on option on Bimmercode, did you use that to code? Some of us used Bimmercode to change some things and we used 3 Series/M3 G20 G80 option to do so.
Does a battery tender work on this type of battery? Might be putting my car in storage for a month or 2 depending on how bad winter is here in NY, another option would be to swap the OEM battery back in the car when its going to be sitting for long periods or out in below freezing temperatures.
Also, surprised to hear you say G80/G82 platform is much more complicated than the G87. I thought they were very closely related.
Tried to reply to your post last night, but the forum went down for server maintenance in the middle of posting.

You bring up a good point. At this time Bimmercode only supports up to F87, which is fine for battery coding on G87. When you get to the Battery Registration part on Bimmerlink, you can see the value is successfully read at 60Ah (instead of 90Ah), which is what we previously coded the new battery at using Bimmercode.

If sitting for long periods of time, you can opt for the Antigravity Battery Tracker to monitor voltage as needed from your iPhone/Android, otherwise you will need a LiFePO4-specific charger as not to damage the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
I'm safe in assuming these batteries are not compatible in vehicles that have AGM batteries as the only option? I have a Volvo V60 Polestar and this would be ideal: Unlike in a BMW where the battery is low and in the back, the Volvo battery is pretty much above the engine, above the front wheels. Losing 40lbs there would be significant.
Absolutely. I've been running a AG battery in our Tesla Model Y Performance successfully for the past 2 years, as 20-22 models come with a really cheap lead acid battery that typically craps out in a couple of years for the 12V system.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0