05-03-2024, 05:57 AM   #39
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
An Allegro 1.3 was my first car. It burned more oil than it did petrol. A gallon of Duckhams Hypergrade 20W50 a week if my memory serves, which was just the 8 mile round trip to and from college.

British Leyland caused me blue smoke PTSD. Even to this today I still look in the rear view mirror on overrun and acceleration for smoke.

You can't claim to have owned a crap car until you've owned an Allegro. Literally everything else in the world, ever, is better than an Allegro.
Apart from Johnny Smith's VTEC turbo restomod one.

Favourite Audi has to be my mate's old Audi 90. Back then that thing felt like a budget rocket ship. As nice as an RS6 is, it can never beat 80s Audi velour seats with the metal frame poking through a hole whilst cornering flat out.
Was that the one with the square steering wheel? My sister in law had a beige one and it was truly awful - almost as bad as the Austin Princess.

Have to say it must be a close-run thing between the Allegro, the Marina and the Viva for 'most crap car of the 70's' - even after they renamed it the Ital it was awful
Appreciate 0