Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Who is this commercial marketed towards? Can most 28 year olds afford a new M2? not that I am aware of
BMW's marketing department has been selling 3 series and M3s this way forever. Techno/house music with mixed weird angle quick driving and rear view mirror shots. Just watch 5 of any E36 or E46 video ads. You'll see at least 2 or 3 of these.

This is going back to the days when you actually needed to make money to buy a BMW and couldn't just lease a 3 series for $299 and a 650 credit score.

It's just that every Boomer and GenX'er in here romanticizes their E30-BMWs-are-exclusive-and-for-the-refined-cigar-smoking-man upbringing.

BMW is a mass produced consumer car company. The M2 is being marketed as a fun sports car to the 18-40 masses with disposable income. Come one come all! You want exclusive and class? You're not going to find it on TV in between reruns of Seinfeld.

I agree with the part about being a mass-produced car company, which is obviously what BMW is and has been for, well, ever since they transitioned from airplanes. I do like the imagery of the cigar-smoking E30 owner.

BMW has segmented their business properly and took advantage of financing to make it possible for folks at lower incomes to afford a car of their dreams. Can't blame them for being intelligent to sell more cars, after all that affords more R&D.

BMW over the decades was the impression of progress - be it real or imaginary - and the temptation to migrate upward through their range. Marketing as the ultimate driving machine was their only real ploy.

The real genius of BMW is in their manufacturing excellence and build quality. Sure, half their transmissions fail after 75k miles, and some of their V8 engines fill with corrosion. But their vehicles are over engineered to a fault, and I love them for that.

Still, I don't give them a pass on this cheesy tik tok crowd video. Be more like apple and tesla and release the car already preferably on a stage and with some sharp spokesperson. Can't wait to see the new M2.
Appreciate 1
Spiffx448.00