View Single Post
      02-22-2024, 01:12 PM   #32
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Still a long wait for the M240i to arrive, but I think I've picked my oil. Curious if anyone else is using Red Line 5w30 and/or Wix XP filters? I've read nothing but good things about Royal Purple oil filters, but I don't think there's an option (yet) for this car.

Yes, I know the viscosity and rating is not blessed by the BMW gods, and I don't care.

Just curious if anyone's had anything other than perfect praise for this Group V ester base stock synthetic oil?
Stick to the original BMW genuine filter (INEOS) you can buy from the dealership.

It has the highest # of pleats at 50. Do not use anything else. I (for a while) considered the MMR Filter (which only has 42 pleats), but I noticed that the filter bypass valve was absent on the MMR kit (compared to OE). Ultimately, that kit is still sitting on my closet and it's not worth my time or money to extensively test. If I were to do a proper lab analysis of both filters under RedLine 5W30, I'd be looking at $1000 CAD to have a rough answer.

As for oil filter collapse, it is said that this only happens on extended drain intervals, but I've seen it on cars that sit for a while as well and don't put on too much mileage. It seems to me like it is very time-based, but I have also seen the filters come apart because the way the filter is built is just flawed in general. Apply too much force, and it breaks. That, however, is usually caused by garage warriors who try to do things themselves.

My solution is to swap the filter out during the halfway point and have it done by my local BMW dealership/service centre. I have a good rep (figuratively and literally speaking) there, and they do it for free.

TLDR: stick to the ORIGINAL BMW filter, and swap it out half way.