06-09-2022, 07:52 AM   #20
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthie1 View Post
I'm new to radar detectors and mirror tap. I was planning to mirror tap and blendmount my radar detector. I was wondering if this will void my warranty and do you have to take the mirror tap/radar out every time you go for service?
It is hard to say. The car's warranty booklet covers changes to the car, the fitment of aftermarket hardware or changes to the car's installed hardware, and how this can affect warranty coverage.

A plug in accessory like a radar detector, or with some of my cars a NAV unit, or even a dash cam, have not come in for any comment by the various dealers I have had the cars in to for warranty work or service or repair. I have not had any warranty claim denied for any reason and certainly not for having some electrical devices connected to the car's power ports or even to the car's OBD2 port.

(I note my 230i owners manual says devices connected to the car's OBD2 socket will trigger an alarm when the car is locked. I have not tried to confirm this. But I accept it as gospel. So my OBD2 trip/data logger device is not plugged into the OBD2 port of my 230i.)

If you ask your dealer even if you are given the "OK" unless you have that in writing it is not worth anything. Dealer personnel come and go. The guy or gal that gives you the ok may not be there when you return for a problem that might involve a warranty claim.

Besides the factory is the final word on what warranty claim it will honor and what warranty claim it will not honor.

Before you hard wire anything to the car's electrical system you need some high degree of confidence doing so will not affect the car's warranty. Simple to say. Maybe not so simple to do. But reading over the warranty booklet "fine print" would be a start.
Appreciate 0