03-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #24
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Am I going to be the only one who is buying and not leasing? I was on the fence between the M240i and the new Z but am really leaning towards the BMW. The Nissan wins in I can work on it myself and Japanese reliability. The BMW wins with AWD, electronics, comfort, close enough or possibly equal in performance, and I think it looks better.

I keep my cars for 5-7 years, or possibly longer. The B58 seems solid so I'm relatively comfortable from a reliability perspective. Am I better off leasing and then deciding to buy at the end? Was planning to pay half in cash and finance half. Having a BMW or any German car outside of warranty is kind of scary. Can anyone weigh in with their experience in post-warranty year(s)? Not this car obviously, but BMW's in general.

I will likely do maintenance myself (oil, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, brake pads, etc.)
I’m sure a lot of people will argue for or against my thought process - but I planned to lease the car, see how it runs for those 3 years, and after that, if I like it enough, I’m happy to have it CPO’d and buy it back with an extra year of warranty. If shit happens - like getting into an accident or a general indicator of poor reliability, I can cut myself loose. In a traditional car market, which is NOT what we’re currently living in, BMWs lose a ton of value. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who financed a German car for 5/6 years and came out on top when they went to sell it (not counting Porsches, lol). I consider leases a dating period before marriage.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0