MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominoM View Post
All true. Except I don't understand how more EVs would equal more fossil fuels (because electric motors are 2x more efficient). But let's be honest, if the world really wants as many EVs on the road as they say they do by 2030, then our mining and electricity infrastructure is not prepared to handle that. It's going to get messy real quick. We'll see I guess.
They may be twice as efficient but they have to cater for extra two or 300kg of additional weight. Brakes wear quicker, as will tyres and the roads they're driven on which all translate into the use of even more fossil fuel based products.

It's not a simple 2-variable equation; there are hundreds of variables which when considered in perspective, put the EV into a deficit position.

In the 50s/60s/70s, when there was a lot more metal in the average family car, it still didn't weigh as much as they do now. Best yet, they lasted for decades.

Our capitalist consumer oriented economy, has now built-in obsolescence for cars to last ten years instead of 40. That too adds much to the stress we're placing on scarce resources.

Sadly, there's no simple solution, just a lot of hot air!