View Single Post
      08-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #10
tdfn426
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 230i, F48 X1

Long time reader here who just went through a similar conundrum, so I thought it would be worthwhile to join up and share my decision process.

For background, my wife and I have a 2021 X1, so 228 hp B48 turned sideways/FWD, and a 2019 Honda Insight, which has appreciated in 3 years of ownership. We are replacing the Insight with the 230 for a fun first rwd daily to complement the X1 before the used market goes back to reality.

The B48 even with the Aisin gearbox in the X1 is so much better than the Honda and Toyota powertrains we've previously had. So coming from non-sporty economy cars, the B48 never feels like not enough power for normal street, highway, backroad driving. I recently drove my parent's new NX and for a 4 cylinder, the B48 sounds so much better, far less grating than the Lexus. Obviously it is not an inline 6, so sound and power won't match the B58, which the m240i owners can speak to.

For us, we went 230i for the following reasons:
1, As a first RWD sporty car, we were more concerned with handling. From looking at comparisons, the 300 lbs out of the front and more front-mid engine configuration of the 230i helps with that over the m240i.
2, More manageable power for everyday use as we don't track or autocross or anything. A fun drive for us is backroads. 5.1 0-60 seems like plenty and dusts our previous cars. If we were used to more power, then it might be different, but it will have the best power/weight of any car we've owned.
3, Price, as spec'ed our price difference between the 230 and 240 was $7k. While it may depreciate more than the 240, who knows. Our 2019 Honda hybrid has appreciated in 3 years of ownership. For our case, the price difference wasn't worth the power, despite the sound and desirability.
4, Availability, there would have been 3 people ahead of us for an allocation for the m240i. We were first on the waitlist when we ordered a few weeks ago, and within a week had an allocation for an October/November build.

I hope the different perspective is helpful in your decision making process. My thought is if we want more power down the line, the M2 and m240 will still be in production for another 7 years and potentially in a much more sane car market.
Appreciate 1
azuki329.50