Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I always understood that it's a hell of a job to construct a steering rack providing feedback when it's electrical assisted.

It's not something they deliberately engineered to behave like that, more collateral degradation. At least in a sporty set-up.

On the other hand, for a none sportive car, the excessive assistance and total lack of feel is often interpreted as "luxury".
Well Porsche, Alfa Romeo, and GM's performance division have figured out how to make EPS quite respectable. BMW always had the best steering in the industry, the only logical explanation [and the one that BMW opens admits to] is that they don't want their steering to be very stiff or feel-some any longer. They can do it if they want to, as I hear the CS models steer wonderfully.
Exactly.

This isn't to say BMW only caters to American drivers, but As I posted in another thread, most Americans can't be bothered with steering because it gets in the way of texting, tweeting, and constant iPhone use in the car.

BMW knows they want the ability to steer with only a pinky or left knee. So they give them what they want.

The anger over shitty steering is misdirected at BMW when it should be directed at lazy drivers that have zero interest in, well, driving.
Appreciate 4
KoenG1428.50
Davil6558.50
ASAP10187.50