Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Nevertheless, still totally confused how everybody is seeing MT as pre-condition for a real engaging drivers car. We never had such a good, smart, smooth and fast ZF8 transmission which rendered our own 6MT shifts totally void and irrelevant. And still, everybody is craving for a MT?? I'am totally confused, really.
My DCT 17 M2 was superb. Dont miss the mess and slow actuation of the manual. Time to move on. Its not a true manual as you have a servo. Get an Alfa Boat-tail spider for true manual.

ZF8 is super in manual actuation. Not sure why the distinct minority are so upset. We have new sports coupe and its not perfect - manual or not. A manual does not make a car perfect. It just is a car with a manual lol.

Drive the PDK - superb gearbox. Who needs a manual........if so call BMW and ask why. No one owes us a manual. They build and it sells without manual. Time to move on. For utilizing the power manual is not optimal ever now.
The M2 DCT was not perfect. In the highest speeds it could dump shift and unsettle the car, and if you turned off all the drivers aids, it made the car unpredictable if the road was bad. It was lightning quick on upshifts of course, that was what it did best and made for a visceral experience.

I think if the ZF8 can be tuned well (as I've read it was in a Jaguar Project 8, new M3 and M5 CS) it's better all around as it's smoother and won't upset the cars chassis. It's definitely improved in BMWs over the years.

But a good manual transmission car is still the best for people that like driving manual and aren't setting lap times. Just makes driving a much more engaging experience. With auto rev matching now, it's as easy as it's ever been.
Appreciate 3
meko178.50
The_Werm212.00