View Single Post
      02-13-2024, 04:36 PM   #558
Mr-Toast001
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
That said, it'll probably be totally fine.
To be honest, I am not even sure if this is going to work without any problems. Don’t want to go into to much detail, but the way any water pump works is to somehow create a pressure difference which makes the fluid move. In case of a centrifugal pump, this is achieved by „throwing“ the water outwards in radial direction. The following 2min video explains it quite well:

https://youtu.be/-fCZZWwtgNM?si=XMR70JzOuhVdH9vD

As you can see, there are indeed impellers which have an open design. But in that case, the pump casing is manufactured accordingly, so that the gap between the edge of the impeller blades and the pump casing itself is very small (almost zero).
If you have a closed impeller (like Sreten did) and grind away the endplate, there is no reason for the water to move all the way towards the outer end of the blades. It would just leak out of the side (where normally the endplate would be). The pressure difference and flow-rate would be much smaller.

In addition to that, I think water pumps come pretty well balanced from the factory. Grinding off material unevenly could introduce vibration and wear out the bearings much faster.

But yeah, that’s just what I thought when I watched the video. And what do I know, right?
Maybe also works like this. But since Sreten is increasing the power output of the engine, I think it’s important to also have a working cooling system.
Appreciate 0