Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
F8x enthusiasts' gripe with G8x did start with the design, but the other reason, that is arguably just as significant for the majority of auto-only market, is the loss of DCT.
Some markets (UK and parts of Asia for example) do not get MT as option and this means unlike the previous generation, the returning customers are faced with going for another generic slushbox over more interesting propositions like 718/911 with PDK or keeping their current F8x.

You would say these cars are not direct competitors but from what I have seen M3/4 customers in this market have multiple cars in the garage, so they are looking for an occasion car when shopping around M3/4, not another high powered generic German vehicles. Consequently, one would argue majority of buyers are not financially burdened with making a jump to P cars.

I would disagree. Maybe "financially burdened" is a strong descriptor, but there is an average difference of about $40-50k between a nicely optioned M3/M4 and a nicely optioned Carrera S. The MSRP on my Carrera S is $142k. The MSRP on the G82 that I had ordered/cancelled was $85k-ish. Neither car had all of the boxes ticked. That is a phenomenal difference in car price…..and I didn't even go crazy on my C2S either. The Porsches are not in the same world. Anybody trying to align the price brackets are fooling themselves. Most Porsche builds I have seen online and in dealerships are in the $140k-165k range; a "stripper" would be somewhere in the 125k range…..which is still $40k above a well optioned M3/M4.
The 718 Spyder I just built came to 125k
And that's with me trying my best not to check every option because man it adds up fast

Porsche cars are absolute masterpieces

Especially a GT variant