08-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #84
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Do you have much experience using it? Genuine question as my 240i will have ID8 as it is an early 2023 car. I personally didn't care if I got ID7 vs ID8 but I see almost every thread now with people bashing ID8 lol. Is the system/software actually bad or is it more the massive screen?
I haven’t used it either, but my understanding is that the software architecture is less intuitive and not as well thought out (likely rushed). This is seen specifically with the climate controls and vehicle settings. Although our cars have synchronized climate settings based on specific exterior temperature conditions, the ability to change the settings while driving is not as important. That said, if you are driving solo and want to make adjustments, you no longer have the physical buttons or mechanical feedback of the button press. To me, that actually introduces safety risks as a driver will likely be more distracted swiping their fingers (like the home screen of your smartphone) attempting to find the correct page. Since there is no taptic feedback, or distinguishing features (it’s a blank screen) you essentially have to take your eyes off the road to find it. This isn’t as much of a problem in a self driving car, but we aren’t quite there yet.

Beyond that, this is really my only complaint with iDrive 8. It’s very possible that iD8 will become more user friendly and intuitive with OTA software updates, but will have to see what happens. I remember when I first jumped into a BMW with iDrive, it took a really long time to understand how it works. The jump from iD7 to iD8 is definitely less extreme, but technological updates always tend to have a learning curve associated with it before it feels normalized.

I’m picking up my M240 from service today. Hoping to have a chance to check it iD8 to experience it firsthand. I’ll report back and let you know how it is.

Don’t let other peoples feedback let you influence your own decision on a MY23 though. You should really try it out for yourself as well. You might actually like it.
Appreciate 0