03-30-2024, 06:17 AM   #9
Rcasa20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan EVO Chevy Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Well I think the reason for including it as a separate line item rather than baking it into the MSRP is because the automaker is indicating that the amount for the destination charge is at the mercy of market logistics rates. So if they raise the destination charge without raising the msrp they're essentially saying, "we're not raising the price of the car, but can't control what freight rates are in today's market". It offers them greater flexibility.

From the customer end - when you order something online, you typically pay shipping and handling and it's usually not baked into the price of the product. If people are "unwary" about this they're probably unwary about a lot of things that go into a car buying experience.

All this is to say - I personally don't care how they do it - include it within msrp or keep it as a separate line item. From my perspective it's just an accounting exercise for myself to include that (along with taxes) into the total cost of the car.
If they haven’t changed the fee since 2014 it certainly doesn’t seem like they are doing any adjustment for “market logistics rates.” Like another mentioned, I too wish they’d all just give us a price. Instead, each manufacturer charges different amounts and then within each manufacturer you have to figure out which dealer charges what for prep fees. So ridiculous.
Appreciate 0