04-20-2022, 03:55 PM   #16
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Think of it like smart high beams. It disables the beams for oncoming cars/cars in front of you only, while other areas ahead of you still get the high beam. The US unfortunately does not allow it, yet. Audi and other manufacturers have similar technology. I think Audi calls theirs Matrix.

https://youtu.be/ipqlkJgRMk8
Actually the above is incorrect. There is a lot of misinformation regarding this, and unfortunately BMW comes up with their own lame terminology "no dazzle" that is not an industry shared technical term, thus it just adds to the confusion.

The accepted technical term is ADB, adaptive driving beams, and is not the same as auto high beams or even adaptive headlights. Adaptive driving beams are also commonly referred to as "matrix" headlamps.

They ARE allowed in the US. For an in depth discussion see the thread i started titled "Adaptive Driving Beams for US 2022", located in the 3 series forums under G20 General Discussion. It has an in depth discussion and review of the 2/22/2022 US Final Rule 40CFR571 (a 111 page document) that revises the old US regs for headlamps. That post does compare the US regs with the Euro ECE regs. Part of the confusion is that the US regs did NOT adopt the Euro standards and kept a relatively low level of maximum illumination allowed for these adaptive driving beams (roughly only 50 percent of that allowed in the ECE standards for much of the rest of the world. The reasoning was rather spurious at best, simply put they did not want to modify their testing procedures in order to test the for the higher output levels acceptable elsewhere. So yes Adaptive Driving Beams are allowed in the US as of 2/22/2022 but must meet the US standards which are not the same as Euro/ECE standards. Much more detail in the post i referenced above. I do have a copy of the US regs if anyone is interested i can email it.
Appreciate 0