View Single Post
      06-13-2022, 02:22 AM   #53
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I honestly don't get why these reviewers are making a big deal out of the parts coming form the G80/2. Have they been living under a F'n rock for the past several years? ...
I wondered the same thing. I'm guessing BMW media relations f'ed up- you know, the people who used Tesla video footage as "sneak peak" of the M2? Those guys.

My guess is that BMW thought they would impress the auto journalists by telling the assembled crowd "the new M2 has M3/M4 components" - which anyone who followed the f-gen cars already understood. But apparently it was news to journalists who, not realizing what a common platform actually means, decided that now, because the M2, M3, M4 have the same damn drivetrain- this time it is bad. Every single article leads with that point; "it has M4 parts" - which seems odd news, but here we are.

That said, no matter how good the G42 platform is, and no matter how long the M2, M3, & M4 have used a common drivetrain / suspension, I think we are all expecting the G87 to be something more unique than a short-wheelbase M4 - which is a little odd because it will obviously share the drivetrain and it clearly looks like nothing else in production ...

Perhaps the auto industry is just changing too rapidly for the media surrounding the industry to deal with it - no one is really certain what to make of anything because the old standards are crumbling / no longer relevant. I mean, I just drove an i4 that was faster than anything else I have ever driven- so should I be impressed with a slower Mwhatever? Who knows.

I'm sure that like the G42, the G87 looks better in person. Still, it needs a lower-ratio top gear - perhaps a 7 sp. manual to match the old DCT top gear ratio.
Appreciate 0