02-02-2024, 06:11 PM   #50
Haneef
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
My parcel shelf modifications fully resolved one vibration issue I was having with very loud music and heavy bass. Idk what was the actual cause, but it is now fully fixed.

Regarding the suspension thump, adding the sound deadening to the rear parcel shelf only ended up reducing the noise about less than 10%. I also added sound deadening material underneath the rear seat bench, directly over where the gas tank sits under the seats. This reduced the thump about another 10 percent as well, but I can still hear it without a doubt. So that makes me believe the origin of the noise has to be the suspension. The car is actually quiet a bit quieter with the additional deadening, almost too quiet because I no longer have to shut my exhaust valves when cruising on the highway.

Back to the thumping noise, overall it has been reduced VERY slightly in my opinion with the sound deadening. This helps, but my ears are fine tuned to sounds of this frequency, especially when driving and it still drives me crazy in these colder months. Now that it’s been getting warmer again in Chicago, the noise is not as prominent and more livable. I really love this car, but if there is not a resolution by the next cold season, I might consider trading it in…

My plan is: Unless there is an official fix before then or the sound gets any worse, I will be taking my car in for its next free oil change in Oct/Nov of 2024. My dealer said they will open a case with BMWNA for additional investigation since I have already brought it in twice with a paper trail and they have already replaced RR [...]
Is it actually that bad, I mean I do hear it but kinda tuned to it so it doesn’t bother me now. For me it’s a characteristic of the car. But everything else trumps that sound lol. My next is most likely M340i but I guess I’d like more power. So M3 I suppose. May be in 2026.
Appreciate 0