View Single Post
      03-19-2024, 07:22 AM   #15
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
There’s a new Lotus dealership a few miles from where I live, along with Ferrari / Porsche / Bentley / McLaren / Land Rover (a millionaires shopping wet dream), that has a load of them parked outside. They look plain weird to my eyes.

The lightness ethos has clearly been disregarded. Most people don’t want featherweight sports cars any more - they want massive lumps of lifestyle vehicles, and a 0-60 to brag about. Who cares about handling ?

Cars like the Alpine A110 hold a huge amount of appeal to me. I’d walk past an Eletra without giving it a second look.
Agreed. Look at how things like the M4 sell vs the likes of the BRZ or Alpine. People want luxury and willy waving over all else, and there are very few people who love driving left. Or at any rate not the ones who'd still be able to enjoy razzing a twenty year old fiesta down a country road with a big grin on. Must have comfort, must have cup holders, must isolate you completely so you then need a ridiculously loud exhaust just to stand a chance of hearing it inside, and must have enough space to get your beer gut behind the steering wheel. Proper cars that handle and have subtlety are out the window in favour of massive power claims, massively wide tyres to try and stop it spearing into the scenery away from the (traffic) lights, big brakes to cope with the unreachable top speed, massive wheels to clear the brakes and then stupidly thin tyres to still fit within the arches. It's all bollocks. I'm not sure the average person would know what a good handling sports car was even if it ran them over and left a note saying 'good handling cars here'.
Appreciate 6
KRS_SN13714.50
Sennen1747.00
Watsey6450.00
boba-fett1861.00
Scoobyd1970.50