09-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #71
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
It looks even worse than the new M3/M4 did... omg...
But it'll probably drive great...

It's like having a girlfriend who you couldn't look at but you're with her because she can suck a golfball through a garden hose. Extremely well performing but butt ugly.
New M3/4 still take the win in my opinion. After letting the new 2 series sit and bake in my mind for a few months, for me it comes down to the proportions being botched rather than the individual design elements being the main offender. The front triangles aren't great, but I still can't get on with the extended front section, the awkward rear arch (it looks so...old?), the distance between the tail lights, and just the overall flat creased and straight design language.

On the other hand, I have warmed up considerably to the headlights, and I like the hood a lot. And the CS style rear spoiler helps the rear proportions a ton, almost having me think that aftermarket exaggerated CSL type trunks are going to look very good on this generation. But maybe it's just the dark contrast doing it, not sure.

This car kind of looks like to me like the designers were inclined to do something different and didn't know how to incorporate it or proportion it correctly, rather than the M3/4 where to me it looks more like, "fuggit, go freaking nuts."