View Single Post
      04-09-2023, 07:39 PM   #19
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn SoCal View Post
This is my buddy’s M2 actually, I just picked it up for him and drove it for the day and then a couple hours to his house the next day. I also have a 2022 BG M240i and I’m staying with that (I had an M2 on order, but cancelled after driving this). After driving the M2 on some twistys and highways, I can safely say they are very similar IMO so I can’t justify the extra money for a slightly faster top speed and stiffer, wider track for the track. The M240i is noticeably faster 0-60 as well, but I have xDrive so it’s really not a fair match until they make an xDrive M2 which I’m sure the M2 would beat it then of course. (Not by much though)

I can see how the M2 would be a better track car though (which is the whole point of the M2) as the steering is more precise (my M240i steering is a bit numb, but that’s a staple of any xDrive car). The turn in is quicker / sharp along with much better brakes so you can brake later which will give you better track times for sure. You feel more involvement on the track, but I don’t see a major huge difference for everyday driving (tires make a huge difference as we all know)

I’m not a huge YT reviewer like some of the video reviews show, but I am a performance driving instructor so I am speaking from real world experience of many years driving M cars so this is simply my opinion. I’m sure some people will agree and some will argue, and that’s the beauty of opinions.

IMO if you already have a G42 M240i that’s a much better daily for the money and just as fast, you don’t need an M2 unless you are a track focused driver or some [...]
Interesting you say the M240 Xdrive feels noticeably faster than the G87. I think Joe Achilles got the fastest recorded 0-60 time with the G87 at 3.67 seconds if I’m not mistaken (and that was on public roads at the press event, not within their own testing environments). The best recorded 0-60 for the M240i Xdrive was by C&D at 3.6 seconds (no recorded video). Joe recorded the 1/4 time for the G87 at 11.9 and C&D got 12.1 for their 1/4 run in that same test they got the 3.6 0-60 run.

I would think in real world driving that the difference in the 0-60 times should be negligible between the 2 cars, not one be noticeably quicker than the other. I would also think the G87 would eventually overtake the M240i in a 1/4 run. I don’t doubt at all that the M240i has more torque and feels punchier down low thanks to the B58.
Appreciate 0