12-05-2021, 03:33 AM   #34
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_frankfurter View Post
I expected more of an actual review of the G42 from Throttle House, bummer. Sure, the previous 2er had a surprisingly larger backseat area. It fit my 5'10 frame behind a 6'0 passenger comfortably, with headroom and knee room to spare. Is a smaller backseat going to stop anyone from buying a G42? Of course not. The "fake M" is quicker, grips better, turns better, can still drift with AWD, and all that with a better interior and more everyday comfort. Not sure why their review was so one-sided towards Thomas' own car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRacer View Post
Glad they're making a big deal out of the rear seats. The car is a lot heavier and chunkier than the previous 2 but ends up without useable rear seats? What? Why?

Yes, it's a driver focused coupe and not a family car, but people in their 20s-30's will want to be able to have their mates in the back, that was like the old one's party trick. Nobody will want to ride there now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Can someone confirm the rear seat difference? Everything I've read is that it's essentially the same.

Maybe that's just leg room and not head room? Regardless it cannot be worse than my RSX. I would just want the rear as an absolute emergency option for short distances for small people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
That new M240i X-Drive really is good from what I have seen. The two small back seats makes this a coupe version of the 2+2 cars back from the 70's and 80's which I really like. The small seats in the back were not really meant for use but allow for more driver room up front like in the 911's versus the Boxsters and Caymans. The same from the older Toyota Supra and Nissan 280 and 300ZX which allowed front seats to be reclined back to where one can take a nap if they needed to on a road trip instead of just sitting straight upright like in the new Supra,new Z and the Boxtsers and Cayman Porsches. I wonder what MPH it traps at the 1/4 mile though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesing4a2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Can someone confirm the rear seat difference? Everything I've read is that it's essentially the same.

Maybe that's just leg room and not head room? Regardless it cannot be worse than my RSX. I would just want the rear as an absolute emergency option for short distances for small people.
My experience sitting in the rear seat of the G42 mirrors what James had to say. I felt like I was in the back seat of a Mustang; at only 5'10", I had to angle my head to otherwise sit up straight and not be touching the headliner. I too was disappointed in that aspect of the car; form dominated over, and did not follow, that aspect of function.

Leg room seemed similar enough.
I can't seem to understand why rear seat room is the topic of conversation…

If you want rear seat more, get a four door? Why bother with a coupe? If you plan on having people over 5'6 in the back or want ease of access to get in the rear seats at least. Get the 3,5 or 7.

Also, the car is heavier for at least 150-200lbs because of the front diff. Minus that and it's around 3600lbs to the 3450lbs of the OG

For reference the M2 comp in DCT weights 3650lbs. I'm not sure if this model had a sunroof so…

A car magazine did a graphic back in the day explaining where the weight gains came from for the OG vs Comp debate. The exhaust and brakes added up 63lbs, heat exchangers 12lbs, other items for about 45lbs.
Appreciate 0