03-25-2023, 05:21 AM   #181
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
You said it right there. Just bring it for service. You're really complaining about a service that you probably will need to get done once every 100k miles. It's a proven transmission the ZF8 is in so many cars albeit different variations.

And exactly this. Same procedure for my DSG Audi. I bought a $100 OBD dongle to tell me the temp of the transmission fluid. But otherwise it's as simple as most manual or other automatic transmission fills. A lot require it to be level and to fill until it runs out. Only difference is this needs to be at a certain temp and then fill is complete.
And I'm just assuming you aren't doing the work yourself based on your wording.

All I'm saying with all that is if you want a manual get one. If you want an auto get it. This is not a new drive train the transmission has been in BMWs lineup for some time. And in the M since 2020.
If you're afraid of reliability because it says there's no maintenance interval on something then bring it in for service.

If you're afraid of the price then bring it to a German shop. It's going to be out of warranty by then anyway.
My preference is to get the automatic fluid service done *before* warranty expires not after.

I haven't pushed having my 230i in for this but when I brought the subject up the attitude wasn't encouraging.

If my attempt to get a M2 with a 6-speed falls through then I'll just keep the 230i or seek a M240i but of course in either case at some point brign the car in for an early transmission fluid service.

At 71 I have no interest in working on my cars. While I did most of the services of my vehicles even rebuilt the engines of two vehicles I owned I haven't had any desire to work my cars for about 10 years. Helped in part because of no place to work on my cars.
Appreciate 1