View Single Post
      03-25-2023, 06:48 AM   #184
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

FC Euro video showing the transmission fluid change procedure from start to finish. With a QuickJack, seems like it'd be a breeze.

Manufacturers know the transmission should last through the warranty period, so they say it's a "lifetime fill."

They know that not every technician will perform the procedure correctly and don't want to have to pay a $20k warranty claim because of that.

After the warranty, it's on the owner.

I may have attained a strong financial position in the decades since college, but one thing that hasn't changed is that I don't trust rando strangers with critical fluid changes that I can do.

My wife had to have a 370Z with the 7A, which is sold with the claim that it's a sealed unit with a lifetime fill.

Even when new, there was a lot of heat in the footwell, but the Nissan dealer did nothing, because it's a sealed unit.

At 51,000 miles, the 7A went out and the parts catalog only listed a single part, the entire unit.

The transmission was replaced under warranty and the heat buildup issue went away with the defective transmission.

How much would it have cost? If I remember correctly, the part was $7,900 and with labor I was told it would have been a $12k job.

Last edited by Mike_H_; 03-25-2023 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0