View Single Post
      03-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #74
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
QUOTE="Kevin_The_Clean1;29955389"Ya, black cars look great at night, in the shade & (5 minutes max) after a fresh wash. But try taking closeup photos of the clear coat in direct sunlight on a bright sunny day, mid afternoon with a nice well respected HQ lens. More than confident the story might be different. Those obsessive compulsive detailers with OCD will tell you "black isn't a color, it's a full time commitment."

Kevin_The_Clean1 You are of course correct about the black being (somewhat more) difficult to maintain. I have three entirely blackout cars in my current fleet, including the M5, which is my second BSM F90. And yes, this is a night shot, but it was just offered as an example. I’m sure a lot of people’s BSM cars are plagued with the issues you mention, but mine isn’t. I live in a region that gets a lot of crappy wintry mix for months on end, and I’ve observed the car in the conditions you describe, and it’s still pretty fantastic.

I was just making the point that the maintenance is doable, though admittedly if the car is babied (to some extent) like mine is. The “issues” that a lot of people mention are not a reason to completely forego a color that someone may love as their favorite because of what everyone else says about BSM.

For what it’s worth, the car looks just as fantastic in the day time (again, with proper maintenance).

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I am saying that a lot of people make it seem worse than it actually is. Do I put a marked amount of effort in keeping it clean? Yes, absolutely. And again, admittedly, it spends a lot of time with my master detailer. But is it such a full time commitment that the color’s perceived required maintenance should preclude people from going with the color they love? Absolutely not.
Attached Images