No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjr View Post
As I mentioned, I have been reading as much as I can regarding the G87 M2. I currently have the 18' LCI M2 and as much as I love this car, quite honestly I have been bothered with several aspects that the OG 235/240 2 series was given a different power plant so very close to the performance of the M2, yet I continue to hear about M GmbH limiting the performance of the G87 to keep it under the M3/M4's! While those facts fester in my mind, and I am currently considering that again purchasing a new M2, but from what I have been reading, keeping the G87 "less" capable than the big brothers and sisters (M3 & M4) seems to be a major concern I have. I understand the reasoning, but BMW seems to contradict themselves so often.
Porsche has been doing this same neutering stuff with the Cayman for years. With its superior chassis and balance, giving it 911 power numbers would be unwise for the company. It's the same for M2 vs M3/4. The former is more nimble and fun to drive. They can't step on the toes of big brother. In reality though, the S58 power figures won't be that much different between the G87 and G80/82 (unlike the N55 and S55 in the F87 M2s). I know it sucks spending even more money on a new car but, a simple tune of the G87 should get you to the promised land. Plus, you'll have a grille you can be proud of.
Appreciate 0