08-23-2023, 09:33 PM   #12
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
That’s nuts.

To my knowledge provinces here don’t generally treat speeding as criminal offences.
In my province if you’re 40Km/h over the limit your car gets impounded for a week (a month if you do it again within 2 years of first instance). But it’s not a criminal charge. Some provinces have more leeway with extreme speeds. I don’t think Alberta cares as much, but aerobod can confirm. Never heard of towing there or SK.
I’ve seen 110 in a 60 in a construction zone in SK and it was just a ticket. And I’ve had my car impounded here for a week for doing a bit 2x the 80 limit. YMMV

I think racing is… criminal offences frighten me, and I don’t think States or Provinces should move towards them just to prevent speeding. One thing is one thing, another thing is another thing…….. speeding should never be a criminal offence in my view. What you do if speeding (killing someone, for example) yes. Then speeding is just an aggravating factor.

Driving like a hooligan as the thread says should be acceptable with a G87 hahaha

Yeah it's interesting. Here too the cops have wide latitude. I was busted for 87 in a 55 (in my daily) just a week or so ago, but the cop wrote me up for 5 over. Small fine and no points. Could have been the bad one I mentioned earlier. It was completely my fault, too, because I ignored the early warning of the radar detector. I was like "meh, false alarm."