View Single Post
      12-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #82
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_320D_UK View Post
BMW has gone mad I tell you. It’s what my UK dealer told me, if there’s more than 1% difference in rolling diameter between front and rear, you run the risk of damaging the case.
I’ve had the rears at 5.5mm tread and the fronts at 2.8mm and I went out and got new tyres all round before sending it back to BMW to ask for a good will claim just so that they can’t blame uneven tyre wear for denying me good will

BMW built in such a small tolerance with these transfer cases, they assume tyre wear is even on xDrive cars (which it isn’t), and fit them with staggered setups
400M setup is 0.3% difference
403M setup is 0.3% difference

You won’t be able to run a square setup without the use of spacers, as the ET is 36 for front and 47 for rears
And I bet you’ll run square setup, have your transfer case blow up, and BMW will tell you it’s because you’re not running the factory setup and you’ve got spacers and wtf else...
I dont get how the staggered wheels afftect the rolling diameter once the tyres are of the same size? Makes no sense that the width and ofset of the the wheel would change the rolling diameter.

Say if I fitted 225/40/19 and 255/40/19 instead of 255/35/19, that would give me the same rolling diameter thus not affecting the transfer case?
Appreciate 0