02-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #954
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Sometimes I am thinking if it is harsh. After reviewing the quality BMWs used to have -indiferent of the model-, I realize that is not harsh at all.

Sure, top of the line are luxurious. But a "luxury" brand is luxury only for the top models? If yes, why the overal "luxury" nomenclature?
When you consider a manufacturer as being LUXURY, then you are taking into consideration the fact that every vehcile that comes out of its umbrella has certain attributes that can justify that. Right?

You can't hide under the luxury umbrella when tha majority of the vehicles sold are not top of the line. Remember the 3 Series bread and butter?
Or should BMW put the non luxury under the Mini umbrella?

But let's see some things that came up lately:

- luxury means a wonderful, well thought and balanced design. No scars in the middle of the hood because it is easier to install on the manufactoring line a front bumper that comes with headlamps and all that jazz installed by a way cheaper third party.

- No pantyhose materials on the interior pillars. What about that perfect thicker material that was not only more beautiful, offered a much visual and tactile experience and it was good acoustic insulator? My moms A1 headliner and pillars material looks waay better than my M X4 headliner material.

- no saggy mosquito panoramic shade that looks like crap, offers no perfect protection for the sun, or to play the role of the thermal insulator in the very cold months. Did I mention that is cheap and saggy? Do some of you remember the hard panoramic retractable top that not only was good, sturdy and beautiful without looking cheap, but also offered a proper sun protection and had a sun reflective attribute?

- No taillights that moved from LED to back to bulbs. (luxury much?)

- no M3 with gruesome front grilles and a 3 series regular rear door slapped in there totally destroying that gorgeous bulged rear fender. None sees how awkard that connection really is? That is actually a crime in design language. Cheap move. For the money of course.

- areas of the car that are no longer painted but rather sprayed and left antouched by the paint or clearcoat which does offer another layer of protection.

- Mini seats on BMW line up vehicles that are actually bigger than Mini, hence targeting a different, taller and bigger audience (not to mention the difference in price). They offer no leg support on long trips and they actually don't fit on vehicles that require a certain lenght due to the height of the seat position. Mini seats on the X1 and X2 which supposed to be actrually a very nice car. X2 had potential, yet those seats, that terrible interior with a phalic visual sore stick and the FWD set up ruined it.

- New CLAR platform that is shared -again- with Mini just because the money, not because it is good. No true XDrive but rather a Haldex system, connected to -again cheaper- Ainsin transmission. ZF rules big time over Ainsin. AND, the audacity and lying decision to call it xDrive. No, BMW that is not the xDrive. That is an Haldex.

- black shiny cheap plastic that found its way in most of the exterior of the car making it look literally LIKE SHIT after a few washes. Even if you install PPF from day one, you must be lucky to receive one without any scratches. Look at the mirrors plastic, front bumpers, rear bumpers, B pillars, front grilles, windows frame, etc. A luxury company will not use a material that looks terrible in a few days. Luxury means longevity and well chosen materials that can last.

- Elimination of interior cushion at the rear seats backseats. look at some of the new vehicles like the X1 and X2 and see that not only there is a rough plastic that replaces that hip/back cushion, but you can even see in the trunck or slide your hand in there.

- the screws that hold in place rear seats in some models are now visible and an eyesore. Luxury much?

- leather that is wrinkled since day one, with bad sewing that provides visual pockets and waves that can never be addressed (I have them in my X4). Even the new M3-M4 has it and is not the leather or whatever BS some claim. Is just a bad design that did not taken into consideration the way the leather will look and behave after some use. The pattern of the sewing place a tremendous role in the way the leather is kept in place and how it will look in the future.

- reducing the warranty of the vehicle is not a luxury move either. If you are a luxury manufacturer, offer peace of mind and stay behind your product. Or that only shows that that is the lebght of the peace of mind you are offering...

- cheap displays made by a cheap manufacturer, literally SCREWED on the dashboard with a design that show lack of respect for the vehicle's image and a very immature and cheap design.

- lack of central console just to reduce cost as there is no third seat in the front anyway.

- cheap under carriage protection with plastic shields that protect nothing. (some have a harder carpet, forget about a plastic shield. Even my M340 M Performance the under front bumper radiator is exposed pushing me towards a third party manufacturer to seek a protection.

- cheap frameless doors for electric cars with exposed rubber seal that looks absolutely horibble through that window...

Many many thing changed lately, and not in good but in bad. i can go on and on...
Very dissapointed by some things that were replaced with bad cheap things, or worse, removed because they cost money.

A luxury brand doesn't leave room for a cheap perception....
All these complaints and you still chose to buy a BMW.

Makes me wonder how you feel about other brands...