Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
///M2 1/150  [9.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
M240i is a nice car but it's not what purists want in a "track" car. I'm sure it's a better daily and more competent in many ways. Comparing 0-60's is irrelevant because xdrive cars will win by miles. As far as the rolling race, the B58 is a monster of an engine. I'm not shocked either. A comp M2 would've been the better rolling race since the power levels would be identical.

He bought the M2 because he wants a car to drive on the track. 0-60 and launches don't matter once you're rolling. Having less weight and better suspension is more important. Plus I'm sure people love drifting the M2 and I believe the M240i is still a great car to track. It shouldn't be off by much but the extra power and LSD it has helps.

As far as engines are concerned, it gets tricky. I think the B58 is a much more ideal track engine than the N55. It's a closed deck block with air to water cooling. It'll have less heat soak and more long term reliability and track reliability.

OG M2 wins in looks, suspension, lap times (assumption), less weight (400lbs), brakes?, option for manual transmission/RWD for drifts

M240i xdrive wins in comfort, engine (reliability and power), launching, tuning potential, luxury, and 8 speed ZF (I prefer to the DCT). To me it seems like the perfect sized car as well. I'd prefer the extra bulk for the daily driving.

Two great cars that are made for two different reasons. They both win in their respective areas
Agreed.

The M240i is not a pure "track car". Then why the heck review it like it was supposed to be a track car and then find fault because it isn't a track car. That's my problem with that "review".

Why not put the M240i up against an Audi S5 or other like car.

There is going to be a new M2 coming that will probably be a monster.

My complaint is not with either car but with the review and the premises of the review and what appears to be reviewer and new M2 owner bias.

Bob
Bias reviewing is a real thing with cars. I'm hoping the new M2 will have the xdrive option. That's something I really want. Worst case scenario we get the 2nd gear launch control for the RWD which is still good enough to keep me satisfied but would leave me disappointed.

With anything in life, it's important to understand who is saying what and what their framework of mind is. Like the reviewer said, he's a track focused driver so of course he would side with the M2. He could've done better being more subjective and not focusing on what he likes and highlight what's great about both cars but eh, he tried I guess.
Appreciate 0